For those traveling through MSP / Minneapolis St Paul Airport with kids, I have good news. The Minneapolis St Paul Airport is overall a pretty kid friendly airport.
**For the most part, the features that I am referring to relate to Terminal 1 (the main airport terminal) and not to Terminal 2 (the Hubert Hunphrey Terminal) except for where noted.***
Planning a trip soon? Help Support This Blog!Booking your hotel accommodations and tours through these affiliate links sends a small commission my way that helps to support this blog (and it doesn't cost you any more).
Here are some of the kid and parent friendly features at MSP and tips for getting through the airport with little ones with the least amount of stress and headache possible.
Play areas: There are great kids play areas located in Terminal 1 near gate C12. For those flying out of the Hubert Humphrey Airport (terminal 2) there is a similar play area there. These are great places to wear the kids out before putting them on the airplane (hopefully for a long nap!)
Baby item vending machine: Forgot diapers? Wipes? Missing some other important baby item? I have just the thing for you! There is a baby item vending machine located at MSP Terminal 1 right in the children’s play area (located by gate c12).
Nursing rooms: There are three nursing rooms in the Minneapolis St Paul Airport.
- There is a lactation room at the beginning of the F concourse (the volunteer at the information desk at the beginning of the F concourse can let you in). It has a small counter to set your pump and supplies and a sink.
- There is a “secret” nursing room on the G concourse between gates G4 and G9. This one has a comfy chair and a sink and it is self service (it does not require a key to get in.)
- There is a nursing room located near gate c12 (actually, there are two.) There is a “lactation room” nearby which a handy counter if you are pumping and need somewhere to set your stuff and wash your hands (it has a sink). If you are nursing a child, there is actually another room that the volunteer can let you into upstairs which has a comfy armed chair (but no sink). This is the “old” nursing room from before they put in the new one. The volunteer at the information desk next to gate C12 can let you into either room.
Family Center: Located at the beginning of concourse E at Terminal 1 of MSP, the family center offers comfortable seating, a family restroom, a rocking chair and a crib.
Companion care restrooms: These are great for families with kids, and they are conveniently located all over the airport. These are large, private restrooms with diaper changing stations that make bathroom stops with children more convenient (and this way you won’t need to share your family bathroom drama with strangers!)
Moving Walkways: Never thought of a moving walkway as a feature in a kid friendly airport? Think again. Children can find endless amounts of amusement on the moving walkways (trust me, I see the gleam of delight caused by the moving walkways in some child eye almost every day that I work).
Planning a Trip to Bloomington? Help Support this Blog!
Booking these family friendly hotels using these links helps to support this blog (and doesn’t cost you any more!):
- Radisson Blue Mall of America: You can’t get easier than this. This stellar hotel is attached to the Mall of America and all of its kid friendly attractions via skyway!
- Radisson at Water Park of America: If water parks are more your thing, this hotel is attached to Minnesota’s largest indoor waterpark (they also have a free shuttle to the Mall of America, making this another super easy vacation option!)
- Embassy Suites Bloomington: I love recommending Embassy Suites for families! The free hot breakfast and suite sized rooms are ideal for families. This Embassy Suites offers shuttle service to Mall of America and it is right next to a Target as well as a slew of other stores for those last minute needs!
Best Family Friendly Restaurants in the Minneapolis St Paul Airport:
Of course, just like in any major airport, there are oodles of restaurants and food courts to find kid friendly fare. These suggestions skew towards offering suggestions for healthy, wholesome food that is a good value for a family:
- Cibo Food Hall and Market (near gate G3): This is a grab and go cafeteria style stop, so this is great if you have people with different food needs traveling with you, as everybody is sure to find something. They have a great salad bar, a hot buffet which serves a great breakfast in the AM and lunch/dinner entrees onwards. They have awesome pizza (the best and cheapest in the airport) and the best apple fritter that I have ever had. You can get a box of food to go and let the kids graze what they want. *** There is not a place to eat here, so you will want to take your food towards your gate or to another eating area in the airport with tables.***
- TGI Fridays: While not particularly creative or unusual, this restaurant does offer a wide variety of kid friendly fare at reasonable prices (and drinks for the adults if you need one). The best part? It is DIRECTLY across from the kids play area at gate C12, so someone can takes turns wearing them down while you wait for your food so they sleep on the plane!
- Pei Wei Asian Food: This is partially a mommy personal preference and partially a good, kid friendly recommendation. I LOVE their freshly cooked Asian cuisine and they do have kids meals that include a choice between quasi battered-ish sweet chicken bits or teriyaki chicken with choice of brown or white rice (You can ask them to add veggies to the dish for $1 more.)
- TwinBurger: This burger place at the busy end of the G Concourse has a great Jucy Lucy (a local specialty) as well as a selection of other sandwiches and entrees. They also boast the best macaroni and cheese in the airport, which comes in a kid friendly side dish sized portion, for your voracious little carb lover! You can get your food to go or eat at the tables tucked just around the corner from the restaurant.
Click for more information about Family friendly options at the Minneapolis St Paul Airport